KLE (Karnataka Lingayat Education Society)
KLE is poised for celebrating its centenary commemorating that defining moment, the day on which “Seven Dedicated Teachers – The Saptarishis” founded an Anglo-Vernacular school at Belgaum. That day, the 13th of November 1916, set in an event that changed the course of history in this part of India. These enthusiastic young graduates, overwhelmed with an ideology that filled their visionary minds, resolved to do something rare that would help the farming community in coming out of the gloom of educational deprivation that surrounded them. Although Shri S S Basavanal, Shri M R Sakhare, Shri H F Kattimani, Shri B B Mamadapur, Shri B S Hanchinal, Shri P R Chikodi and Shri V V Patil initially aimed at providing basic literacy to the children of the farming community, yet their historic feat was destined to grow into an amazing educational organization of 240 institutions today. Indeed, they were fortunate to have had the unstinted support of Rao Bahadur Rudragowda Artal, Shri V G Naik Bahadur Desai of Chachadi and Rao Bahadur Vaijappa Anigol in their mission. Despite many disadvantages, the perseverance with which they built the KLE is an inspiring history in itself. Since their efforts were selfless and the sacrifice was for a noble cause, people from all walks of life blessed them with their generous support.
The kind of progress that the KLE has achieved over the years from a school to an international program encompassing education virtually in all streams of human knowledge is a phenomenon unmatched in the history of education in India. The founding fathers envisioned that the KLE mission would reach out to many more under-served regions by starting schools. Need for higher education was absolute. It was responded to in the starting of the monumental Lingaraj College at Belgaum in 1933. Successive leaderships of the Society nurtured this vision and opened Raja Lakhamagowda Science Institute, Belgaum in 1944 at the brilliant hands of Sir C V Raman, the renowned Nobel laureate. J G College of Commerce, Hubli came into being in 1947, the year of India’s independence. Aspirations of independent India for opportunities in professional education were also thought of. Thus, B V Bhoomaraddi College of Engineering and Technology emerged in Hubli in the same year.
A most significant landmark unfolded in 1963 when Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Belgaum was started. This marked the beginning of an illustrious new era that has changed the complexion of health sciences education in India. JNMC today showcases not only KLE’s extraordinary commitment to excel in medical education but also draws global attention for its outstanding contribution to research and health care.
Institutional destiny unfolds according to the choices that a institution makes in its leadership. Such a choice was made in the elevation of Dr Prabhakar Kore to the Chairmanship of the Board of Management of KLE in 1984. With his indomitable spirit and youthfulness, Dr Kore initiated a great transformation in the making of a new KLE. This legendary architect of a resurgent KLE has not only catapulted the institutions of KLE from 38 to 240, but has also created a roadmap for the next generation to travel in. He has ensured that KLE contributes in imparting quality education of global standards in the fields of Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Nursing, Physiotherapy, Engineering, Law, Management, Education, Agriculture, Fashion Technology and Hotel management. Not to speak of English medium schools and Polytechnics.
The crowning achievement of his unique vision is embodied in the state-of-the-art, hi-tech, super speciality KLES Dr Prabhakar Kore Hospital and Medical Research Center, Belgaum with 2,400 beds. The 1,200 beds Charitable Hospital encapsulates the social commitment of the man and the organization he leads.
KLE being an organization of globally accepted leader in Education and Health Care, carries with it a heritage of 96 years selfless service and exciting history. It has been carved out of the philanthropic contributions of thousands of people. Having grown out of the supreme sacrifices of seven dedicated teacher – Saptarshis, hard work of the faculty, the concern and the indebtedness of the alumni and the focused efforts of the Management, whole hearted support of friends and well wishers, the KLE has transformed itself into a power house of learning. With its democratic exercise on a regular basis, financial transparency in every aspect, the firm support of the team of the Board of Management and ever-ready backing of the President of the Society, the KLE has been a matchless harbinger of excellence in Education and Health Care, today.